Monday, March 15, 2010

The Beach

So yesterday we decided to hit the beach. The weather's finally been warming up and drying out, so I told Craig we should make a picnic lunch and he said we should do the picnic at the beach.

"But what would I wear?" was my question.

"Your swimsuit," my wise husband replied.

Well, for one thing, it may be warmer but it's not that warm yet. For another thing, even with the maternity swimsuit a friend lent me, I hardly feel like traipsing around the beach with my big ol' self on display. But I decided to play brave.

"I could do that," I said. "Big and beautiful."

That's when my husband decided to tell me that "big and beautiful" doesn't apply to pregnant women. He meant this as a compliment.

In the end, I put on the swimsuit (more out of curiosity than the belief that I'd actually want to strip down to it) underneath yoga pants and a long-sleeved shirt. Choosing just the right yoga pants and shirt was another battle. I may be set up well enough for everyday maternity wear, but beachwear is another story altogether. The beach is peppered with lithe, well-oiled bodies. I couldn't throw on Craig's old teeshirts (which I wear to exercise in) and expect to feel good about myself.

Well, a couple of wardrobe changes later, we managed to pack our lunch and head out. I was right about lithe and oiled bodies. Unfortunately, I was even right in assuming that though the weather was far too chilly to lay near-naked by the water, most people were doing exactly that (tans are sometimes more important than bodily comfort, I suppose). But it turns out I didn't mind so much. We set up our beach chairs, pulled out some sandwiches and managed to bask in the sun while forgetting about everyone around us (except the surfers, whom we like to watch and, occasionally, laugh at).

All in all, it was a good time. And, as was evidenced by the mother busy supervising two young children nearby, such times of peaceful relaxation at the beach are soon to be extinct. I suppose next time, I'll dress faster and focus more on treasuring the time while I still have it.


My "big and beautiful" belly at 25 weeks (and yes, I'm at 27 weeks now).

No comments:

Post a Comment