Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Week 1 Highlights

Yesterday at 4:18pm, we celebrated our little bird's 1 Week birthday. While it's hard to believe she's a week old already, so much has happened in that one week that it's a little surprising she's only one week old! When Craig joined me in the operating room around 4pm on May 31, I was already nauseous and trembling a little from the medications and absolutely scared to death. In hindsight, I'm not sure what I was scared of and I doubt I knew even then. Regardless, despite his best efforts to comfort me, Craig was visibly frightened too, as (I think) this photo shows.

Since that time, we've survived two earthquakes, hurtled over nursing obstacles, met the dogs, had a bath, and gone out for multiple walks around the neighborhood and an embarrassingly large number of trips to and from both Target and Babies R Us. The dogs love Evelyn, by the way. We were worried about our overly dominant, aggressively territorial miniature pinscher, but she immediately transferred all of her protective instincts toward Evelyn--chasing the other miniature pinscher away from the baby and settling herself between my feet on high alert whenever I went to nurse Evelyn.


All in all, it's been an amazing first week! Sometimes I think I don't want her to grow any more--just stay a tiny baby forever--but I can't wait to see what kind of person she'll grow up to be.

1 comment:

  1. Every chapter in her life, day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year and on and on will be amazing; and you will want to "pause" life on a regular basis. Just make sure you enjoy every moment because they will all be special. And the joy in watching her grow will never end ;-)

    ReplyDelete