Thursday, February 11, 2010

The New Current

A few years ago I wasn't sure I'd even want kids. Ever. Today I find myself using up precious Amazon gift cards on such books as Baby and Child Care by Dr. Dobson and The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It's hard to do when Amazon pops up with books especially recommended for me--books by Paulette Jiles and Marilyn Robinson and Flannery O'Connor. I wonder when those types of recommendations will be replaced by such titles as Burping for Buffoons and Diapering for Dummies. I wonder if, when that day comes, I'll ever read a decent book again. If I'll even know what the decent books are any more.

All kinds of changes are happening these days. I've learned how to pile my hair on top of my head mommy-style (Craig says it makes me look old). We've started putting a children's gate in the doorway to what will soon be the nursery (so the dogs will be accustomed to not being let in without adult supervision). Our conversations are peppered with talk of how to approach future sleep and feeding schedules. My stomach has gone from flat to chunky to "Is she or isn't she" proportions. Here's some photos of my growing abdomen--you all have my mom to thank for pestering me into this. And no, the photos are not being taken in consistent time intervals; I'm too busy researching bottle sanitizers to take pictures of myself. Enjoy.

 
Week 11: Chunky (I believe I was using hair ties to keep my pants buttoned at this point.)

 
Week 18: Hey, I think there's a baby in my belly! 

 
Week 21: Yep, definitely a baby in there. 

3 comments:

  1. I think "Diapering for Dummies" could be an instant classic. At least, it sounds like it's written to my reading level. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh too cute! i love it!I am soooo super excited for you guys!you guys are going to make AWESOME parents!I envision you being "the cool mom" the house where everyone wants to hang out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the belly pictures. I haven't taken one yet, and I don't want to take one. I am hoping my parents will be satisfied with pictures of the ultrasounds instead! :)

    ReplyDelete