Sunday, November 28, 2010

What We're Thankful For

I procrastinate. I'm a procrastinator. Us procrastinators tend to think that procrastinating is something we'll grow out of. That somehow...someday...we'll magically stop procrastinating. But--in the meantime--we procrastinate.

Scheduling Evelyn's baby dedication at church was no different. Being a parent doesn't make you more responsible. It just makes you more behind on doing responsible things. I waited so long to schedule her dedication that when I told my friends the date (the Saturday night service, Nov 20) I found out Evelyn's betrothed, Baby Liam, was getting dedicated the day after Evelyn's dedication (the Sunday morning service, Nov 21).

There was some momentary panic. I nearly called the church back and rescheduled. I had visions of a baby dedication service that none of our friends or family attended. I cried and told Craig how I hated it here in Southern California. I pointed to a featured city article in one of my new magazines--I showed him how it featured the family-friendliness of Kansas City. 

And Craig lovingly reminded me that a baby's dedication service isn't about being the center of attention. That it doesn't matter if none of our close friends or family witness it. That the only thing that does matter is that the Lord sees us.

So last weekend, at the Saturday night service, we formally dedicated our baby bird to the Lord in front of the church. And guess what? A LOT of our friends out here made a point of rearranging their weekend schedules to come to church Saturday night in order to be there. Even Baby Liam and his parents came. And guess what else? Rather than having our whole troop clomp back to church the next morning, our senior pastor allowed us to do a never-before-done DUAL baby dedication. So Baby Evelyn and Baby Liam and their parents went up front together and prayed together over our babies.



It was a beautiful, blessed, and sacred night in our lives. Not only did I tell God I trusted Him and depended on Him to raise my daughter, but He told me that no matter where I am, I will never be alone. Not only will He be with me, but He will give me the friends and "family" that I so desperately need.

A few days later, some "real" family flew out (my parents) and we were able to celebrate Thanksgiving with some of those family-like friends. We didn't do the whole "what are you thankful for" thing, but we didn't have to. I'm thankful for them. For each and every single person who sat at that table with me (and for all those who would have liked to!).

I love all of you. Thank you for being my family--whether or not we're related "by blood!"

1 comment:

  1. We're thankful to have you guys in our lives! Baby Evelyn has blessed our lives too and it was so wonderful to be there to watch you guys dedicate her and to see her eat her first ever sweet potatoes! We love you guys and are grateful to have you as our "family" here in SoCal! God has definitely provided us with a great group! Love you! Aunt d(isney)

    ReplyDelete