Friday, April 9, 2010

The Progression of Things

So yesterday I had my 30 week checkup with my doctor. Yikes! Something about the 30 week mark has me freaked out and realizing how close I am to having a new person living with me. With just 10 weeks left to go, I keep looking at our study/nursery and the heap of stuff that has accumulated and I want to cry. But Craig has promised me that this weekend he will get a guy to help him move all of the study stuff out of the study/nursery so that the room can become an official nursery-in-waiting. Which means I have my hands full today getting the study stuff organized and ready for the "big move!"

Anyway, at the appointment, I learned I've gained a grand total of 24 lbs so far. I was a little bummed about that. Everything I've read says I should gain between 25 and 35 lbs total and I'd hoped to keep it closer to the 25 lb side of things. But with 10 weeks left to go and the forecast weight gain of .5-1 lb a week, I shouldn't gain more than the recommended amount, which is good.

Something else that made me feel good is my doctor lifted my shirt to get the baby's heartbeat and exclaimed, "Your belly is so small for 30 weeks!" And then I think she felt bad for comparing her patients' bodies because she said, "It's just so interesting how each woman's body is so unique and responds in its own way to pregnancy." Whatever. My belly is small. My doctor told me so.

After taking the baby's heartbeat (140), my doctor then attempted to measure my fundal height (the size of my uterus). Turns out, she couldn't measure it right away because, in her words, I was "having a small contraction." Could've fooled me. A month ago, I was told I would start experiencing Braxton Hicks (false labor) contractions but I have yet to feel them. Apparently, though, the contractions make my stomach muscles tight, which prevents her from measuring the fundal height. So I lay on the table a minute or two and she kept checking to see if the contraction had let up. She said it's normal for me not to feel anything, but I'm a little distressed about it. I wish I knew what a contraction felt like so I could be prepared. So I keep putting my hands on my belly randomly throughout the day and try to gauge how tight my muscles seem to be.

So all in all, things are moving along. I had a pedicure this morning with a friend. Pedicures seem to be the thing to do when you're pregnant and can't easily reach your own feet any more. Now I just need to get things ready for "the move" tomorrow afternoon, and then maybe we can get to work painting the walls. 

2 comments:

  1. it's so fun to hear all about your new life changes! yes it kinda makes me want to be pregnant again :) but now is not the time! thanks for sharing!!!! waiting in expectations with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Trina! I like sharing with people and it's been a great way to get back in touch with some old friends.

    ReplyDelete