Monday, May 3, 2010

The Back-Up Plan

Sorry it's been so long, everyone! Midway through last week I realized May was (sort of) here and my nesting instincts went into overdrive. Poor Craig spent his weekend sanding, painting, and staining numerous pieces of baby furniture and attending our final Lamaze class with me. Meanwhile, freelance projects have slowly been building up, my sleep schedule is as erratic as ever (let's just say I went to sleep at midnight,  woke up this morning at 5, collapsed into sleep again at 8, and just woke up a few minutes ago at 10:30), and I've been trying to finalize the upcoming June newsletter for my church (one of my "extracurricular" activities). Our nursery is nearly ready and as soon as it is, I promise to post some photos.

I mentioned in my last post how stressed Craig is about the looming due date.What I didn't mention is how sweetly thrilled he's been with the whole pregnancy process. Last night, Little Bird nearly kicked her foot clear through my skin and Craig (who managed to see it all happen) couldn't stop rubbing and talking to my belly for half an hour, even though it was 11:30pm and we had an early alarm set. But the most telling sign that Craig loves my being pregnant? Friday, he asked if he could take me on a date to see the absolute worst-reviewed movie in theaters right now: "The Back-Up Plan," starring J Lo of all people! It's all about a woman desperate for children who gets artificially inseminated only to meet "the man of her dreams" not half an hour later, falls in love, struggles with how to tell him she's pregnant without scaring him off, struggles to keep him through the hormones of pregnancy, and then (because this is after all a Romantic Comedy) struggles to make a very climactic scene reconciling with him as the baby is about to push its way out of her. It has bad reviews for a reason, but hey, we're pregnant and, having experienced the tolls pregnancy can have on a relationship, enjoyed it well enough. It was a date, after all. And, for Craig, it was a much needed break from nursery prep work.

No comments:

Post a Comment